Ali Zaidi, Anders Bra..nneby, Ala Nazari, Marie Hogan, Christian Kuhlins, Ericsson, Stockholm, Sweden
SYNCHROINFO JOURNAL. Volume 6, Number 2 (2020). P. 32-40.
Almost every industry can be transformed with cellular IoT. The connectivity needs of all industries can be addressed by four multi-purpose IoT segments, which efficiently co-exist in one 5G network. These segments are Massive IoT, Broadband IoT, Critical IoT and Industrial Automation IoT. This paper presents a clear evolution plan for addressing all 5G-IoT use cases, from basic to the most complex, in a cost-efficient, smooth and future-proof way.
Keywords: IoT, 5G, Ericsson, LTE
1. Ericsson Mobility Report, November 2019: https://www.ericsson.com/en/mobility-report/reports/november-2019
2. Cellular IoT Evolution for Industry Digitalization, Ericsson White Paper: https://www.ericsson.com/en/reports-and-papers/white-papers/cellular-iot-evolution-for-industry-digitalization.
3. Driving transformation in the automotive and road transport ecosystem with 5G, Ericsson Technology Review, 2019: https://www.ericsson.com/en/ reports-and-papers/ericsson-technology-review/articles/ transforming-transportation-with-5g
4. IMT-2020 self-evaluation: mMTC coverage, data rate, latency & battery life. Ericsson and Sierra Wireless. 3GPP R1-1814144, November 2018: http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/tsg_ran/WG1_RL1/TSGR1_95/ Docs/R1-1814144.zip.
5. LTE-M and NB-IoT meet the 5G performance requirements. Ericsson blog post, December 2018: https://.www.ericsson.com/en/blog/ 2018/12/lte-m-and-nb-iot-meet-the-5g-performance-requirements.
6. Cellular Internet of Things – From Massive Deployments to Critical 5G Applications, 2nd edition, Academic Press, 2019: https:// www.elsevier.com/ books/cellular-internet-of-things/liberg/978-0-08-102902-2
8. IoT Ecosystem: NB-IoT and LTE-M Report, GSA, 2019: https://gsacom.com/paper/iot-ecosystem-report-april19/
9. Sharing for the best performance, Ericsson White Paper, 2019: https://www.ericsson.com/en/networks/offerings/5g/sharing-spectrum-with-ericsson- spectrum-sharing/download-form
10. One core – the best of two worlds, Ericsson White Paper, 2019: https://www.ericsson.com/en/ digital-services/forms/packet-core/one-core-the-best-of-two-worlds
11. Simplifying the 5G ecosystem by reducing architecture options, Ericsson Technology Review, 2018: https://www.ericsson.com/en/ reports-and-papers/ericsson-technology-review/articles/simplifying-the-5g-ecosystem-by-reducing-architecture-options.
12. Advanced antenna systems for 5G networks, Ericsson White Paper: https://www.ericsson.com/en/reports-and-papers/white-papers/ advanced-antenna-systems-for-5g-networks
13. New SID on support of reduced capability NR devices, 3GPP, RP-193238, December 2019: https:/www.3gpp.org/ftp/TSG_RAN/ TSG_RAN/TSGR_86/Docs/RP-193238.zip
14. Service requirements for next generation new services and markets, 3GPP TS22.261, 2019: http://www.3gpp.org/ftp//Specs/archive/ 22_series/ 22.261/22261-h01.zip
15. Service requirements for cyber-physical control applications in vertical domains, 3GPP TS 22.104, 2019: http://www.3gpp.org/ftp//Specs/archive/ 22_series/22.104/22104-h20.zip
16. Service requirements for enhanced V2X scenarios, 3GPP TS 22.186, 2019: http://www.3gpp.org/ftp//Specs/archive/22_series/ 22.186/22186-g20.zip
17. Mobile communication system for railways, 3GPP TS 22.289, 2019: http://www.3gpp.org/ftp//Specs/archive/22_series/22.289/22289-h00.zip
18. Driving Data to the Edge: The
Challenge of Traffic Distribution, AECC Technical Report, Automotive Edge
Computing Consortium (AECC), Technical Solution Working Group (WG2), 2019: https://aecc.org/wp-content/
19. Distributed cloud – a key enabler of automotive and industry 4.0 use cases, Ericsson Technology Review, 2019: https://www.ericsson.com/en/reports-and-papers/ericsson-technology-review/articles/ distributed-cloud
20. J. Sachs et. al, 5G Radio Network
Design for Ultra-Reliable Low-Latency Communication, IEEE Network, 2018: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/
21. 5G for Automation in Industry, 5G ACIA White Paper, 2019:https://www.5g-acia.org/fileadmin/5G-ACIA/Publikationen/5G-ACIA_White_Paper_5G_for_Automation_in_Industry/WP_5G_for_ Automation_in_Industry_final.pdf.
22. Technical Specification Group Services and System Aspects; System architecture for the 5G System (5GS), 3GPP TS 23.501
23. Boosting smart manufacturing with 5G wireless connectivity: https://www.ericsson.com/en/reports-and-papers/ericsson-technology-review/articles/ boosting-smart-manufacturing-with-5g-wireless-connectivity
24. 5G-TSN integration meets networking requirements for industrial automation: https://www.ericsson.com/en/reports-and-papers/ericsson-technology-review/ articles/5g-tsn-integration-for-industrial-automation.
25. Network Slicing can be a piece of cake, Ericsson: https://foryou.ericsson.com/paper-network-slicing-can-be-a-piece-of-cake-ty_1.html
26. Network Data Analytics Services, 3GPP TS29.520: https://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/ archive/29_series/29.520/
27. eSIM Whitepaper, The what and how of Remote SIM Provisioning, GSMA, March 2018: https://www.gsma.com/esim/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/esim-whitepaper.pdf
28. Unlocking cellular IoT potential for chipset makers, ARM White Paper: https://learn.arm.com/isim-for-chipset-makers.html.
29. Technical Specification Group Services and System Aspects; Security architecture and procedures for 5G system, 3GPP TS 33.501: https://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/archive/33_series/33.501.